Sunday, January 17, 2010

Penn State

From the picture posted on the left side of this blog, you might guess that I am a Penn State fan. And you would be correct! The picture was taken in front of the Palmer Museum of Art on the Penn State campus. I was there to pick up my son, Robert, at the end of the spring semester. While Robert and I were visiting the museum, my wife, Pam, and my daughter, Crista, were seeing the Rockettes at the Bryce Jordan Center. Robert, a sophomore, had not yet been in the Palmer Museum, and really wasn't expecting much. But what a surprise! There were some great pieces of art in there, and of a nice variety too. There were quite a few old paintings that were simply wonderful, as well as modern sculptures, such as one done completely in sharpened pencils. If you are on campus, or even just nearby, make it a point to drop in.

Robert had a few great options for college, including NYU business school and Boston College. He ultimately chose Penn State for the academics, beautiful campus, and sense of community. The big time football program was probably a factor too, but I don't think he would admit that. And it didn't hurt that a few of his good friends also decided it was right for them.

I am in awe of the school spirit the Penn State students demonstrate. Not only are they the country's number one student section at football games, they do amazing charity work with their annual THON dance marathon. THON raises money to fight childhood cancer, raising over $7,000,000 in 2009, and nearly $60,000,000 since its inception in 1973. Whenever I see somebody wearing Penn State attire, I ask them about their Penn State experience. I have not yet heard one person say anything less than they loved it. And I have asked a lot of people!

My daughter will start college in September, and Penn State, at which she was recently accepted, is at or near the top of her list. American University (Pam's alma mater), Villanova and West Chester are still possibilities.

We are fortunate in the state of Pennsylvania (actually a commonwealth) to have several quality state schools that cost about half of what similar private schools cost. It is really a shame what is happening with the cost of higher education; middle class families struggle mightily to help their children attend college, while less fortunate families have severely limited options. Let's hope that something is done to reign in college costs before only the wealthy can afford to attend.

No comments:

Post a Comment