Sunday, January 24, 2010

Changing my Email Address

For years I have used a comcast.net email address. And for years I have watched my Comcast bill go up and up and up. So I started thinking that I might want to change to FIOS or some other alternative. Changing from Comcast's TV service would be easy, and with FIOS I might even get better picture quality. I still use Verizon for telephone service, so that wouldn't be an issue. And changing internet providers would be a snap too...except for that email address that is used not only for friends and family, but also for so many business transactions. The bank, telephone company, monthly parking bill, credit cards, select mailings, and website sign-ons are all tied to my email address. It would be easy to let inertia control the situation and do nothing, but my anger over the Comcast bill was too great, and I needed to prepare to move on.

I sat in front of the TV, laptop in hand, and started the process. I decided gmail would be the way to go, and I found an email address that worked for me. I sent out an email to family and friends and advised them of the change - that was simple enough. Then came the businesses. For the most part, it went well, just a bit time consuming. I had previously kept a file that listed all the sites where I had an account, thank heavens for that. Of course, there were a few places I forgot to list in the file, but no big deal.

But there were some pain points. Live Nation, the ticketing company, just doesn't want to let go of the old email address. I was so frustrated with them that I deleted my old account and made a new one; but they still send to the old email address and still do not send to the new one. Ok, there is probably a logical explanation for this, but it escapes me. I even sent multiple emails to them to check to see if I had some other account tied to the old email address (which I am certain I don't), but I received no response. And Parkway, the parking management company in Philadephia, seems totally disinterested. I sent their customer service department an email asking them to change the email address and to reply advising that they had done so. No response. I sent four follow ups asking if it had been done, still no follow up. Is there any possible excuse for that? I guess I'll have to call them next week to get this done...I expect I'll be on hold until my patience runs out and I hang up. And Verizon, after changing my email address, they insist on sending emails to both the old and the new address...go figure.

So the email change is just about done. A few pain points, but for the most part, a successful project. So when the next Comcast increase comes along, and I can't get another 6 month price reduction, I'm ready to make the change.

No comments:

Post a Comment